Sports. We're finally there. Well, sort of.
Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wyatt is now at an age in which the doors to the wide world of sports have opened up for him. And to be honest, I'm thrilled. It's one of the things I've looked forward to most about being a mom. The biggest dilemma in our household the past several weeks, however, has been with which one do we start. For normal families, this is not a huge make-or-break decision. They sign their kids up for soccer because it's a great introduction to sports and it allows them to run up and down the field until they're nearly begging Mom for an afternoon nap (after all, that's what we're really paying for, right?). But as I'm sure you've already determined, we're far. from. normal.

You see, Eric possesses a certain disdain for the sport of soccer stemming from his adolescent years as an avid baseball player and fan, which he has now carried over into adult and parenthood. It doesn't make much sense to me, especially considering almost all of his closest friends played soccer growing up, but he's fairly adamant about his son never playing the sport. In fact, if you ask him specifically why he dislikes it so much, you'll most likely get a response like this:

"What kind of sport disallows the use of the opposable thumb, that which makes us human?"
--one of my favorite Eric-isms

I, on the other hand, happen to like soccer. I think it's fun to watch, it's fast-paced, and it's an amazing workout. But alas, Eric could not be swayed.

Today was Wyatt's first day of baseball (if you can really call it that, at 3 years old), and there was so much edge-of-your-seat excitement crammed into that one half-hour that I can hardly contain myself long enough to write about it. Not really, but here are some of the highlights. Wyatt is the boy in the blue shirt and ball cap.



The class must have been a "big hit" because Wyatt cheerfully boasted, "I won, I won!" all the way to the car. Oh, and Avery had a blast cheering on the boys (and 1 girl) as they hit the balls and scored their home runs, and I think she was proud to be the one making up the entire cheering section (aside from that rather over-the-top preschool mom who occasionally glanced up from her magazine long enough to forcefully clap and shout, "Good arm, Oscar! Good arm!").



Wine Selection: Ramsay Merlot
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: This is a nice merlot, but certainly not outstanding. It's pretty well-balanced and easy on the tannins, so it would be a nice sipping wine. But I'm really turned off by the black currant flavor.

Labels:






5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

If he doesn't play soccer, ask Eric how Wyatt is ever going to be good at RoofBall. -Kevin-

April 3, 2009 at 6:48 AM 


Blogger The Walrus had this to say:

Baseball is a thinking man's game. There's strategy: When do you bunt? When do you put on the hit-and-run? The count is 2-1 with a runner on first and your team is leading by one: what pitch do you throw? There's a guy rounding third and heading for home: do you throw to the cut-off man to hold the batter to a double, or throw home to prevent the run from scoring?

Soccer: Kick the ball into the other team's net. Stop the other team from kicking the ball into your net. Game over.

April 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

That video is so cute! I hear you about working the kids out so hard they beg for a nap, I love it! I think Eric and Walrus had a bad childhood experience with soccer :) I do love watching baseball, like the game we all went to July 4th, can you believe that was 2007?

April 3, 2009 at 11:11 AM 


Anonymous Michelle had this to say:

Just tell Eric that Wyatt can play goalie so he can use his opposable thumbs. Soccer is way more exciting than baseball and soccer really lets you use your head :)

April 4, 2009 at 2:37 PM 


Blogger Shelly had this to say:

LOVED the video!

April 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771