Tulip Festival
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Spring and tulips. The two just seem to go hand in hand. Each year, the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm hosts a spring festival with the entire family in mind. With over 40-acres of tulip fields (arranged in various color patterns), the spectacular photo opportunities are endless. And the kids could seriously play for hours in the kid zone with Dad while Mom checks out the gift shop and the various tulip bundles for sale. It's a wonderful morning or afternoon activity, especially on a beautifully sunny day like yesterday.

Our first visit to the farms was in 2006 when Wyatt was only 6 months old. I just remember thinking how handsome he looked in his Easter outfit.


And now look at him!


Still handsome as ever. I just can't believe he's the same little boy! Time really does fly when you're having fun!

It was Avery's first time amidst the sea of tulips, and she had a grand time walking up and down the rows--trying to inconspicuously snag a few colorful blooms along the way.

Tugging with all of her might,
"Eh, they'll never miss this one."

Let's be glad it wasn't The Venus Flytrap.



The Bungee Trampoline
In the kid zone, Wyatt had his eye on a huge bungee contraption that appeared as though it was designed more for older kids (or even adults)...not a 3-year-old! But Wyatt, in all of his fearlessness, insisted. We hesitantly forked over the five bucks thinking he'd get in the harness and immediately chicken out, thus resulting in one of the embarrassingly stellar "performances" we've grown quite accustomed to witnessing over the past few years. But he surprised Eric and I both as he ran without hesitation, hopped on the trampoline and into the harness.


CHECK THIS KID OUT!

What a little nut case.


Rock-climbing Wall
Since Wyatt seemed to do well with the bungee trampoline, we thought we'd push our luck (eh, why not?) and attempt the rock-climbing wall. He actually got the hang of it fairly quickly, which excited his rock climbing daddy, who--I'm sure--is now planning their first trip together to the local rock climbing gym! Ha!


Believe it or not, the rock-climbing did not end in--what I had anticipated to be--a violent stomp across the field. Rather, he just threw up his arms in disappointment that he failed to actually make it to the top. Insatiable, I tell you.

If you live in the area and haven't had the opportunity to go, you have until May 3rd to check it out before they close the gates for the season. You won't be disappointed. But go on a weekday. It's less crowded and half the price for admission.

Wine Selection: Black Slate Riesling
Personal Rating: ****Good****
Comments: This would be perfect for sipping on a warm, summer day. It's a German, off-dry riesling, so it's not really sweet compared to other rieslings you may have tried.

Labels:






4 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Beautiful shot of you and the kids!

April 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Oh my gosh, you all look amazing! I can't believe how grown up Wyatt is!

April 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

what an awesome picture of you!! Wow! I bet the kids slept good that night! Wyatt is such the daredevil. I dont even think Hayden would try the trampoline jump. I wish we had something like that here. Beautiful pics!! :)

April 23, 2009 at 6:44 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

WOW! I can't believe that Wyatt did the trampoline and the rock climbing wall...and all by himself! There is no way Brayden would even go near the trampoline. He might attempt the wall, though (he tried climbing one last month). How FUN! I've always wanted to go to the Tulip Festival, but I've never managed to make it. Did you go on a weekend or during the week?

April 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771