Hippie Chick Half Marathon
Tuesday, May 12, 2009



It was 8:30 in the morning and the temp was already in the 60's, not a single cloud in the sky. Perfect weather for a Mother's Day weekend celebration. Not so perfect for running a half marathon--at least not for me. I was probably 4 miles in to this year's Hippie Chick Half Marathon before realizing that after having trained for several months in a cooler, wetter climate, my body wasn't going to be quite so eager to adapt to such a dramatic change in running conditions--my expectations for a sub two-hour run diminished with each and every pound of the pavement.

I thought the double-loop course was great, although it certainly had its advantages and disadvantages depending upon where I was at any given point during the race. I ran the first half in 58 minutes, and then it all went downhill (if only) after that. I slowed down considerably the second half, and the hilly section of the course wiped me out. I have never relied more on the water stations as I did during this run. I crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 6 minutes (9:41 pace).


Overall, the event was amazing, and I plan to do it again next year. I'm still undecided as to whether I will start training for the full marathon in October. For now, I'm just looking forward to a change of pace. After 4 years, I'm finally back in the gym. So I imagine I'll be spending most of my time spinning, weight training, and doing yoga.

And to top off the weekend, Wyatt and Avery gifted me with a dozen roses on Mother's Day while Eric surprised me with gift cards to a couple of our favorite restaurants, as well as some cherished time to myself (to do whatever the heck I wanted) in the afternoon. I feel so grateful to have been blessed with such a wonderful, loving family.






2 Comments:
Blogger The Walrus had this to say:

Avery is so CUTE!!! I'm glad Eric remembered Mother's Day and gave you some time off!

May 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Congrats on running the half! I think I'm going to start training. Any tips? I haven't ever trained for something so long

May 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771