Life's a Beach....If Only.
Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'll be honest. I've never been a huge fan of the Oregon Coast. While I think its beauty is astounding, I'm just not a big fan of water. Or sand. Especially the kind drenched in my own child's saliva after said child grabs a warm, grainy handful and shoves it into her mouth. Let's just say going to the beach with my kids has never been an outing I've eagerly anticipated. Until now.

People said it would happen, but I never believed them (sort of like how everyone told me motherhood would become so much easier when my baby started sleeping through the night at 12 weeks. Hmph! It's been nearly 4 years, folks. That baby ain't never gonna sleep through the night). But, indeed, my kids have now crossed the threshold into a world in which sand is much more exciting to scoop into a bucket than into the mouth. Can it possibly be true? That a trip to the beach can almost be--dare I say--relaxing?

Our first trip to the beach this season. I'm gingerly making my way down the rather steep, rocky path from the street to the beach with Avery suctioned to one of my hips like a scared little koala while carefully trying to balance the arsenal of beach toys housed inside Wyatt's oversized dump truck on the other. Wyatt, as usual, is trotting along in front of us without a care in the world (I swear, I need to start putting that boy to work more often). The second--and I mean second--the warm sand exploded between his bare toes, he was in heaven and could think of nothing else. I'm not kidding when I say that Wyatt and Avery played completely undistracted (and in complete silence) in that very spot for nearly an hour before they realized they were playing in sandbox larger than they could have ever imagined. I was kicking myself that I didn't even think to bring my book. A motherhood first, indeed.

Needless to say, I'm hoping there will be more coastal trips for us this summer. Fireworks on the beach, perhaps? Well, that would mean I would need to get my butt in gear before next month...unless we want to actually sleep on the beach. Oh, boy. I'm afraid I'm already putting crazy ideas in my husband's insanely outdoorsy head. Therefore, I must leave now. But not before posting some of my favorite photos from our weekend at the beach.

Wyatt with one of his best buddies, Sophie,
who will be moving to Wisconsin next month. :-(



Avery, cautiously making her way to the beach.


Finally at the beach, but not sure what to think of the sand.
Still cautious...her signature trait.



Meanwhile, Wyatt finally broke away from the sand long enough to fly his Spiderman kite (notice the one eye completely covered with sand. Funny boy).


Come to find out, Avery loves the feeling
of wet sand between her toes.




Wine Selection: Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: This was okay. I haven't been drinking enough sauvignon blanc's to say for sure if it's a good one. I enjoyed it, but it certainly wasn't memorable.

Labels:






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771