Outsmarted by a 3-year-old....AGAIN!
Friday, May 15, 2009

It seems as though we have entered into yet another battle of wills with our incredibly strong-minded, obstinate 3-year-old. So far, he's winning. Hands down.

After being potty-trained for a solid 3 months, Wyatt has recently surmised that excusing himself from whatever activity he is engaging in at the moment--just for the rather obnoxious task of peeing in the potty--requires much more effort than he's willing to put forth these days. He is not influenced by rewards or peer pressure, nor is he intrinsically motivated to graduate to "big boy" status. The boy could care less if he wets his pull-up, or himself, and I now have a legitimate fear that he may very well end up being the only child in his kindergarten class who is still wearing diapers and loving every minute of it.

We realize we can't force him, and that he will ultimately be the one to decide when to get rid of diapers indefinitely, but I'm certainly not above using his beloved trains as leverage to gently nudge him in the right direction. For the past week, we've implemented a consequence which requires that one of his trains be taken hostage each time he deliberately (not accidentally) boycotts the porcelain throne. He may then earn one train back for every successful effort thereafter.

This strategy had been working well for us--until this morning when he finally clued himself in to the motives behind our plan. Since then, Operation Defiance has been executed in full force. The following conversation between Wyatt and I this morning provides an awkwardly indisputable indication as to who is gaining the upper hand.

"Come here, Wyatt. We need to get you out of this wet pull-up."

Before I could even squeak out another syllable, he responded very matter-of-factly, "Umm, Mommy? You need to take away one of my trains."

Realizing that my 3-year-old had just hijacked control of the situation, I replied with stern confidence (even though I was fumbling with uncertainly on the inside), "You are right. Why don't you go to your room, get Emily (the train), and bring her to me. Er, right now."

Completely un-phased, he marched to his room and marched right back out--Emily in the right hand and 3 others in the left. "Here, Mom. You can have all of these."
One word. STINKER.



Wine Selection: Snoqualmie Riesling
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: Rieslings are generally very sweet, but we were hoping this one would compliment the spicy food we paired with it. Unfortunately, we were a little disappointed. We very much preferred the Mullar-Thurgau over the riesling.

Labels:






3 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Oh my! What a stinker! Ha! Potty training is a battle ground I am happy to never have to return to. I stayed bruised and battered upon that weary soil. :-) (One thing that did kinda help is making them clean up themselves. The time it took to takes off undies/pants/shoes/socks then wipe down, then re-dress took too much time away from playing.)

May 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM 


Anonymous Lindsay M had this to say:

That sounds exactly like something Colby would do! These kids are such stinkers!

May 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Oh, what a little turkey! I had to do the same thing with Spencer's cars and for the most part, it worked. A friend of mine would make her kids take a cold shower and tell them that was the ONLY way to get clean. She said they would cry and cry, then ask if she ever had to take a cold shower. Her response was "yep, every time I wet my pants". HA!

May 17, 2009 at 6:41 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771