Protective big brothers: blessing, or a curse?
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

For Wyatt, the best part about getting a haircut is when the stylist utters the words, "All done." He's never been a big fan of people touching his head, but he's willing to endure such an annoyance if it means getting to play with trains afterward. While he was passionately constructing the most extravagant of train crashes this morning, the next appointment walked through the door--a very handsome, dark-haired little chap that could not have been more than two and a half. I was somewhat relieved when the little boy (obviously in for his very first haircut) headed directly for the dump trucks rather than the train table, for Wyatt tends to get a little possessive of trains that don't even belong to him. It is always a goal of mine to avoid any potential conflict that might arise over trains. It can get ugly.

But after a couple of minutes, Wyatt uncharacteristically started to approach the other little boy minding his own business (and playing with toys of which Wyatt has no interest), mumbling the words, "you better stop..."

Caught off guard and nervous about what was about to transpire, I sternly demanded that Wyatt leave the other little boy alone and return to the train table. Before he turned around, Wyatt again uttered to the little boy in a tone quite demanding, "you better stop...(frustrated pause)...you better stop....looking. at. my. SISTER!!"

Fortunately, everyone in the room erupted in laughter despite my embarrassment. But there was also part of me that felt proud of Wyatt for being such a protective big brother. Even the father of the other little boy looked at me and jokingly said, "I don't think she's going to have too much trouble with him by her side."

Oh, Wyatt. You always have a way of turning the most mundane of outings into the most memorable of moments.






3 Comments:
Blogger Carmen had this to say:

OMG! That is hilarious! I cant beleive its starting already!

May 7, 2009 at 6:41 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Oh my gosh...that is hilarious!

May 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM 


Anonymous Lindsay M had this to say:

That is sooo sweet!

May 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771