Exploring Wines of Eastern Washington
Saturday, June 6, 2009

Wine-tasting in the Willamette Valley. It's fabulous. Heavenly, in fact.

If you like Pinot Noir.

If you like variety, however, there's nothing like eastern Washington--one of the fastest growing wine regions in the country. We thought we'd check it out for ourselves to see what all of the fuss was about. For the past several days, we've been exploring the desert within the Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick, & Pasco) area and sampling wines from the plethora of wineries throughout the region.

Were we pleased?


You tell me.

Pleased, indeed!

We sampled everything from Lemberger to Nebbiolo at the 14 wineries we visited--each tasting room offering something unique, whether in its architecture, decor, or wine label design (not to mention the secret stash of lollipops and juice boxes that some had on hand in an effort to distract little ankle biters...an automatic two-bottle sale in my book).

We met a lot of interesting people during our wine tours and learned a lot about dry climate wine production. The more I learn about wine, the more fascinated I become. I'll post in more detail our experiences at a few of our favorite wineries from the trip. Wyatt and Avery were such troopers. Fortunately, they're at an age in which they can still find entertainment in some of the simplest activities, like rolling down hills, playing with rocks, and pulling on, poking, and prodding the winery's proud pooch as if he were a stuffed plaything.

This, my friends, is why we don't yet own a dog.

(By the looks of it, you'd think this poor pooch just narrowly escaped being
given an accidental enema at the hands of a two-year-old. Good grief.)

In addition to wine-tasting, we toured a few micro-breweries, visited Palouse Falls (A-MAZING!), and caught up with our cousins, Thomas and Sharon, who moved to the area from Tulsa 3 years ago. Stay tuned for more pictures, and many, many more wine reviews!






2 Comments:
Anonymous Michelle had this to say:

Ugh! I am So jealous! Drink a glass for me :)

June 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I'm jealous, too!!!!

June 7, 2009 at 7:57 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771