Father's Day: A Week of Reflection
Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In light of the recent passing of my dad, I seem to be hyperaware of all things related to Father's Day. Not because he was an outstanding father, for that he surely was not. He was, rather, a well-intentioned man who just couldn't get his stuff together long enough to even contemplate what it meant to be one. I'm okay with that, and have been for quite some time....really. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that Father's Day has proven to be a rather meaningless "holiday" for me for quite some time. In fact, there was a time in my life that I walked this earth completely and utterly fatherless, both physically and spiritually. That was a lonely time, indeed.

But this Father's Day, as I try to sort through all of the various emotions that come along with losing a father that was never really a father, I'm also reminded of the fathers who have come into my life over the years and stepped up to fill some very important roles in my life. It is because of them that I have reason to celebrate, and I would like to take the opportunity this week (because it's my blog and I do what I want) to let each one of them know how much I love and appreciate them.

-------------------------------Happy Father's Day, Part I--------------------------------

One of the most important roles as a father, in a child's eyes, is to love her mother. Unconditionally. No matter how many times her head spins around and fire shoots out her ears. Ha! Just kidding, Mom. I've rarely seen you in such form. Rarely (insert snicker) .

But seriously, there's nothing like catching a glimpse of the unspoken tenderness between a mother and father, and finding comfort, as a child, in the idea of "till death us do part." Before Dennis (my step-dad), I can't say that I ever felt the comfort of knowing that the mother who loved and worked hard for her children alone for most of her life--my mother--would be well taken care of, loved, and respected the way she deserved.


I call Dennis by name only because I was 23 when they married--a little too awkward after so many years of hardly uttering the word, to start calling someone Dad. But given his laid-back disposition (the denim overalls say it all), he wouldn't have minded if I did. What I appreciate most about him is that he's an intellectual. He has such an extensive library of books he has read, and I'm pleased to report that after having borrowed The Great Gatsby from him for over 5 years now, I've finally (as of this morning) finished the less than 200-page edge-of-your-seat thriller. Ha! (It really didn't take me 5 years to read it, just that long to actually pick it up).

The man also knows his meat. That's right folks. No vegetarians in this family. He's been known to deep fry a darn good Thanksgiving turkey, and he'll whip up a Reuben Sandwich that will knock your socks off.


And of course, my kids think Papa Lafferty is pretty cool. Wyatt especially likes it when he and his papa play fetch with the dogs. The kid is always so amused that the dogs will frantically chase down the ball. Every time. And Papa always seems to have the most unusual odds and ends lying around the house that can entertain the kids for hours. Most recently, it was a plastic horseshoe set. Wyatt spent the entire afternoon with one of the horseshoes around his waist, boasting that it was his "superhero belt" which stored all of his special powers. It was lovely.

The dogs fighting over Wyatt's "superhero belt".
Apparently, they wanted in on the action.







Dennis, thank you for stepping up to fill such a very important fatherly role for me. I will be forever grateful to you for loving my mom and making her so happy. It means more than you'll ever know. Happy Father's Day!



Wine Selection:
Yakima Cellars Downtown Red
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: As part of a member promotion at our local wine shop, I was able to purchase this wine for only a single dollar (Man, I didn't think you could get anything for a dollar these days). For that much, it was worth it. But I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it.

Labels:






5 Comments:
Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Dennis looks super proud of you and your family! Sweet post.

June 17, 2009 at 10:30 AM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

What a great post. I love it when people take time to TELL the people they love how much they've meant to them and in what ways!

June 17, 2009 at 12:02 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Love your post!

June 17, 2009 at 7:04 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

I couldnt have said it better myself. Love you Dennis for all you do for mom and our family! :)

June 17, 2009 at 7:52 PM 


Blogger Annie had this to say:

OMG!!! What a beautiful post! If I didn't have sleep crud in my eye I'm sure there would have been some tears! I'm so glad that Joyce and Dad are together ~ It relieves me to know that he has found someone to grow old with, etc. Beautiful post!!!

June 19, 2009 at 5:14 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771