Happy Father's Day: Part II
Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Eight years ago, I met the man who would eventually become my father-in-law. My first impression of Don was that he was pretty cool--super laid back with a witty sense of humor. He was easy to talk to and made me laugh. I couldn't have asked for anything more from my new boyfriend's dad, but then again I wasn't aware of the possibilities, given my lack of experience in that area. In a word, I thought Don was...well...great!

It wasn't until Eric and I were in our second year of marriage, shortly after Wyatt shocked us with the unmistakable two-line positive pregnancy test just months before we were planning to pack up and move across the country, that our relationship started to evolve--at least from my perspective-- from great!, to something more substantial and meaningful.

I hold very dear to my heart one memory in particular, in which Don had taken me to the driving range one spring day to hit some balls. It was, I think, the first activity we had ever done with just the two of us. I was about 5 months pregnant. Could barely see my toes, much less the dang golf ball. But I distinctly remember how irritated I became (just like a child) when my father-in-law began critiquing every. single. SWING. Good Lord!, I thought. Just let me do it by. my. self! I realize now how much like a two-year-old I was behaving, especially now that I hear those same words in the same tone from my do-it-herself daughter on an, oh, 15-minute basis.

But what I had realized at that moment was that his critiques--as excessive as I thought they were at the time--weren't given with the intent of pissing off a hormonal pregnant lady to the point in which golf clubs would be violently slung across the range. He wanted me to excel...to do better, just as he would with one of his own children. For most of my life, I've been doing things by. my. self!, and it's sometimes hard for me to accept--let alone ask for--help. Without ever having told him so, that day was very special to me. It was the first time, even in all of my hormonal frustration, I ever felt like a daddy's girl.


And it certainly wasn't the last. There were mornings he'd take my car, clean it up, and top off the tank before I had ever even crawled out of bed on a Saturday--just like all of my friends' dads did for them in high school. And when the kids and I would fly from Portland to Tulsa to visit them, he'd insist on driving to get Starbucks for me every morning (that was before, at four bucks a pop, I insisted on them buying a coffee maker instead). A true sweetheart, indeed. My only complaint, naturally, is that his eldest son failed to inherit the same endearing quality. Ha!

After 8 years, I consider him my dad just as much as he is Eric's--and out of the two, I'm proud to say that I'm clearly the favorite! It's not uncommon for Don to get a call from me when various "handy man" issues arise at our house. I've learned in my 5 years of marriage, it's always safest to just skip the middle man and go straight to the source. Eric with a screwdriver can only complicate things. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.




Don, thank you for loving me like one of your own, and teaching me that it's okay to ask for and accept help from others. By the way, can I borrow $50 bucks? Happy Father's Day!






3 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

I love this post. How very blessed you are to have a father-in-law such as he.

June 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Another sweet post! That is awesome how close you guys are. I have met Don a few times and I could tell he is super cool!

June 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Sweet post Catrina! I'm sure your f-i-l appreciates it too...what a nice father's day gift!

June 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771