4th of July Festivities
Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th at 7 o'clock in the hot, blustery morning. I'm blow-drying my hair when I hear the pitter-patter of excited little feet. I look up to find Wyatt standing in the doorway with a grin stretching from ear to ear. At first I think he's created some mischief but then realize it's way too early in the morning for that. He raises his eyebrows, stiffens his arms by his side and asks, "Mommy, can we go see the fireworks...please?!?!" Knowing what was coming next, I sympathetically told him that we would have to wait until it got dark outside. Then the very first meltown of the day occurred. Happy 4th of July, indeed.

Fortunately, we had a lot on our agenda for the day to help pass the time. First was our annual neighborhood parade. It sounds a little hokey, but you wouldn't believe the number of kids on trikes, adults and pets in costume, and antique automobiles that roll out for this event. Okay, to call it an event may be stretching it a bit. It's more like a family stroll down the street and back, waving occasionally to the--all of ten--spectators sipping coffee on their front porch.


What made the parade even more exciting was that Wyatt's favorite gal pal, Carina, invited Wyatt and Avery to ride with her in a cart pulled by one of her grandmother's minature horses! The kids thought it was awesome. And quite frankly, so did the adults!

Wyatt and Avery riding next to Carina and her great grandmother




So sweet, these two.




Our awesome neighbors, The Freid's, who will no longer be our neighbors in 2 weeks. Jake just completed his Emergency Medicine residency, and they're moving to Klamath Falls.
We'll miss them so much!




After the parade, Avery and I were birthday party bound. Since Eric couldn't tear himself away from the Tour de France, and because the idea of trying to wrangle two kids by myself at a birthday party exhausted me beyond belief, I decided to leave Wyatt at home. I felt a little guilty not including him, because I knew if he found out where we had been, he'd have nightmares for a week about the cake he never got to sink his teeth into.

Fortunately, Avery doesn't have much a sweet tooth;
therefore, she spent most of the party sinking her teeth into some juicy watermelon.



My friend Courtney with her son Blake, the birthday boy.
Happy 3rd Birthday, Blake!
You really know how to put on one cool pool party.

We finished out the day's festivities with a little block party cookout. We love all of our neighbors (even the guy with the pet boa constrictor named "Delilah"), so it was fun to hang out with everyone for dinner before heading to the illegal, but ever-so-impressive, neighborhood fireworks display at the park that backs up to our street. Did I mention how fun it is to live in our neighborhood?

Avery's dinner consisted of Doritos and lemonade.
Gotta love holidays, right?



Carina and Wyatt having a contest to see who can make the silliest face




Avery performing one of her "cool tricks" for the crowd


Avery was quite intrigued by the sparklers, while Wyatt was much more interested in the smoke bombs. Go figure.



Wine Selection: Tre Donne Roero Arneis
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: Probably would've been much better paired with food.






1 Comments:
Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

"Cool tricks, cool tricks!"

July 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771