Berry Picking On Sauvie Island
Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Since I've started receiving phone calls inquiring as to whether or not we've dropped off the face of the earth, I figured it might be time to update the good ol' blogaroo. Lord knows how much I love fielding all of the phone calls! Ha! Life has been pretty crazy lately. I'm notorious for over-committing myself, and I have managed to do it to myself yet again. So, don't be alarmed if blogging is slow over the next few weeks. But I'll try my best to stay on top of things.

The weather in Portland has been exceptionally odd this summer. Following the horrendous heat wave we had a few weeks ago, we got hit with a cool spell and now we're back into the 90's today. What a rollercoaster ride of temps we've had. Sheesh!

Last week was pretty chilly, but it was perfect weather (in my opinion) for berry picking. Shelley and I met up at Sauvie Island Farms to let the kiddos get out some wiggles, and perhaps (if lucky enough) walk away with at least a few tasty blueberries.


I was so impressed with the selection of produce Sauvie Island Farms had to offer. They had everything from cabbage and peppers to berries and peaches. If Shelley and I weren't more interested in girly chit-chat, we may have actually walked away with more than two-dollars worth of blueberries! Oh well, maybe next time.

Shelley's kids, Brayden and Sienna, were very focused on the task at hand. Sienna was quite intent on filling her bucket with the ripest, juiciest berries while Wyatt and Avery opted for a completely different method: pick one, eat one, pick one, eat one. You get the picture. Combined, Wyatt and Avery managed to collect about--oh--ten berries in their buckets, most of which were either black and shriveled or green and hard. Not quite ideal for pancakes, to say the least.

Regardless of our lack of productivity, the kids had an absolute blast chasing each other around, riding on the tractor, and being pulled in the wagons. Definitely one of the best 3-hour playdates we've ever had!



Note the sign posted behind Wyatt:
"Please pick and pay for your berries before you eat them."

Whoops.






3 Comments:
Blogger Shelly had this to say:

I agree - I thought Sauvie Island Farms was great - the tractor had just come out as we were leaving, Maggie Jane would have loved that too I'm sure but swimming called.

August 19, 2009 at 2:38 PM 


Anonymous Michelle had this to say:

I think that's the first time I have ever seen you wear sunglasses! WOW, Portland is changing you :)

August 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

I'm not used to seeing the sun around here, so when it does come out, it's blinding!!!

August 19, 2009 at 10:14 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771