One FABULOUS Birthday Party
Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My fabulous friend Shelley had a fabulous birthday recently. Her husband threw her a surprise birthday bash. Did I mention that it was fabulous?


We celebrated at the Grand Central Bowling Lounge--a little more sophisticated than your average bowling alley. No glow bowling or bumper lanes. Oh, no! What is a girl to do?!?! I was also impressed with their diverse menu selection, although I couldn't quite bring myself to order the cashew-crusted salmon. To me, there's just something not quite right about pairing bowling with fine dining. But apparently, I missed out on some fabulous (there it is again....must be in a fabulous kind of mood) salmon. Oh well, my reuben sandwich was pretty fabulous too.


It was awfully ("awful" being the operative word) apparent that I had not bowled in over 4 years. I really could have used those bumper lanes!


My performance at billiards was equally as pathetic, although I did squeak out a win (only by a silly scratch-on-the-8 ball technicality).

The round of shots came out just as I received my decaf coffee. There's something very sad about that combination too, although I was indeed thankful for the timing. No shots for me, thank you very much!

Oh, and I had my very first celebrity sighting while we were there. Well, if you consider Wee Man a celebrity. I only know of him because my husband finds entertainment in watching grown men make "jackasses" of themselves on television.

Jason "Wee Man" Acuna from Jackass


It was actually quite nice to be invited to a birthday party sans ankle-biters and stinky diapers for a change. Happy Birthday, Shelley. I'm glad I got to celebrate with you!



Wine Selection: J Lohr Riverstone Estates Chardonnay
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****
Comments: I loved this chardonnay--everything from the intensity of its color to its elegance in flavor. I enjoyed this without food, but I'm sure it would pair nicely with chicken.

Labels:






2 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Thank you for helping me celebrate my old age...it wouldn't have been the same without you!!! Hopefully we'll bowl a bit better next time...it certainly can't get much worse! haha!

August 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

How FUN! I have a "Girlfriend Road Trip" to Dallas coming up in a few weeks and I can't wait!!! So nice to feel like a cultured adult occasionally.

August 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771