Artsy-Fartsy
Friday, September 11, 2009

I've never considered myself an artist. After all, artists tend to be more on the eccentric side and are typically adept at sketching amazing drawings or painting magnificent masterpieces--none of which describe me. I like to write. I like to bake and decorate cakes. I like to design invitations. I like to sing. I like to photograph. But I don't like to draw, and I don't base my life decisions on tarot card readings. Therefore, I am not an artist.

Or am I?

I recently completed my on-line writing class, and it far exceeded my expectations. I not only learned how to more effectively transfer my creative thoughts to paper, but I also learned to appreciate the other various outlets in my life toward which I direct my creative energy. What I realized is that I spend most of my free time creating. Or educating myself on how to create. Yet I never considered myself creative. Funny.

I just finished reading Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way, and found it so inspiring. She reminds us that we were all born as spiritual and creative beings. However, for most of us, those creative tendencies are often suppressed somewhere along the way due to common dream smashers like lack of encouragement, insensitive teachers, or just plain fear. She offers several effective strategies for discovering or recovering one's creative self.

I feel like I've been granted with so much clarity lately that I find myself walking with an extra spring to my step and singing (more like shouting with glee) this familiar tune by Johnny Nash:

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

True. So true.

Am I an artist? Still not sure if I can answer that one with confidence. The Oxford English Dictionary defines artist as "one who makes their craft a fine art." Well folks, it doesn't get any more vague than that, does it? I guess I need to know what qualifies as fine art. If it lies in the eye of the beholder, then yes, perhaps I'm an artist.

While I ponder it a little more, I'll leave you with the culmination of my latest burst of creativity.


I made this cake for my dear friend Shelly's baby shower last night. It was my first time working with fondant, and while I did run into quite a few roadblocks, I managed to somehow turn it into something I felt really good about. I stayed up late, stressed out about the details, and unfairly barked at my husband. But in the end, I felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment and joy that I could do something special for a friend who has done so many special things for me.

Stay tuned for next week's artistic adventure:
A birthday cake straight out of Gotham City. Wyatt has been so excited about this cake, he's been in on the planning from the very beginning!



Wine Selection: Claar Cellars Syrah
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: Honestly, I can't remember a whole lot about this wine. It has been a few days since I had it, but I just remember that I enjoyed it. I'll be sure and take better notes next time. :-)






7 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

There's just no getting around it. You must move to Baltimore and work for Charm City Cakes.

September 11, 2009 at 6:16 PM 


Anonymous Michelle had this to say:

Rachel- that's exactly what I said! I love that show. Great minds think alike!

September 11, 2009 at 6:26 PM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Wow! Great minds do think alike. I've not heard of this Charm City Cakes. Is it part of a reality show or something?

September 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

Excellent job, Sis! You should be proud! Where did you get the design idea? You are slowing stepping towards your very own party planning empire!

September 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Thanks, Carmen. I actually designed it as I went along b/c my original idea fell through at the last minute. I'd been looking at lots of different cakes online, so I sort of knew what I liked.

September 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM 


Blogger Shelly had this to say:

GET OUT! I had no idea you designed the thing! I envisioned you hovered over some cake magazine/book getting exact measurements and instructions. Ha! That's incredible. I loved it and as of last night, the last crumb is gone. THANK YOU!

September 14, 2009 at 12:12 AM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

That cake is amazing! I may be calling you for tips on fondont one day!

September 14, 2009 at 8:19 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771