Holy Smoke, Batman! It's Wyatt's Birthday!
Sunday, September 20, 2009


When Wyatt was a baby, I would find myself looking forward to the day when he'd be able to understand just how cool it is to have a birthday party and be able to voice his likes and dislikes. How funny it is that now I find myself (at times) secretly wishing he was a baby again. Or that he at least came equipped with a mute button.

The anticipation surrounding Wyatt's 4th birthday has been almost agonizing for everyone in our little 4-person household. Every morning for the past few weeks, Wyatt has tiptoed out of his room, sought out one of his parents, and with stifled excitement has asked, "Am I four yet?"

After about a gazillion no's, not yet's, soon's, getting closer's, and right around the corner's, we were finally able to shout to the heavens, "Yes! You're four! Finally! Thank the good Lord!" And then we all did a happy dance. And Avery performed (more like tried to perform) a very special song for him.



Wyatt made a point to involve himself in all of the cake-decorating details in the few days leading up to his party. I had come to a really stressful part of the decorating process when I asked him politely not to talk so I could concentrate. So he whispered, "Mom. Please don't mess up the cake." He got the evil eye for that one. Then he told me that one of the bat-a-rangs didn't look very good and I should redo it. Oh yes. He did. Let's just say his lip became zipped once I suggested we just toss the whole thing into the garbage. The next words out of his mouth about the cake were, "Mommy, I'm so glad you made this cool batman cake for me!" Now that's more like it.


We had an informal birthday party at home. It was more like a playdate with a few friends to help us eat the cake and homemade ice cream. A couple of years ago we inherited the ice-cream freezer that Eric's grandparents bought over 50 years ago. We love it.

Churning ice cream with one hand, remote control in the other.
Eric always finds a way to incorporate college football into every activity.

A few of Wyatt's friends came over to play. They had a great time play-fighting with bat-a-rangs and tackling each other to the ground.

Brayden and Wyatt

We live on a very quiet street with plenty of room to run. One of the other dads told the kids it was okay to run up and down the street as long as they didn't run beyond "the witch" hanging out in the neighbor's yard.

Investigating "the witch".
Seconds after I snapped the picture, the poor witch was nearly mobbed.
Apparently, they were going to see to it that the witch didn't interfere with their fun.

After the cake and ice cream, there was just enough daylight for a little fun with the batman pinata.

Batter-up!
This boy means business, and it's spelled C-A-N-D-Y

The kids eventually got bored, so Eric gave it one hit and pretty much showed Batman who was boss. Pure annihilation.


Candy for everyone! Yea!

Just in time for bed, too.
Parents, good luck with that one. Sorry.






2 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Love the cake. Super impressed. Seems like just yesterday you were making the caterpillar cake!! Funny you were hosting little superheroes at your house - at our house this weekend we had a princess birthday party. Explosions of pink fluffiness and giggles. http://www.flickr.com/photos/28754132@N06/sets/72157622289820581/

September 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Starr, that's the coolest princess party EVER!!! I'll probably be calling you in a a couple of years for some tips!

September 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771