Lost Lake
Tuesday, September 15, 2009

When Eric asked me if I was interested in going on a family bike ride in Hood River, thoughts of leisure raced through my mind. Taking in the beauty of the landscape with the wind whipping through my hair. Laughing at the kids while they make funny faces or nod off to sleep. Interested? Totally.

Reality check. I'm married to a man who turns every adventure into an exhausting, and sometimes painful, epic journey. Maybe one of these days I will learn to ask more questions before embarking on such "family" outings.

Destination: Lost Lake
Distance on bike: 14 miles
Cargo: Catrina- 0 lbs; Eric- at least 100 lbs




Piece. O'. Cake.

Did I mention that the entire ride was a 14-mile ascent? Yeah, Eric forgot to mention that one very important detail to me too. Probably because he knew the idea would get a big fat thumbs down. Although he remains steadfast in his claim that he did not realize it was going to be uphill the entire way. Likely story.

Two and a half hours later, we made it to Lost Lake.

We rented a row boat and got the kids out on the water for the very first time. I'm not very comfortable around water, so I was very militant about life jackets. I checked, double checked and triple checked. And that was just my own!!

Not quite sure who was holding whom.



If Avery wasn't rowing, she was crying.
Needless to say, we went around in circles quite a bit.



Even Wyatt and Avery noticed how ominous
the clouds appeared just over the horizon.


We stayed on the lake for about an hour and a half, and I was quite surprised the kids could actually sit still that long, especially after having sat on the bike for two and a half. But they really enjoyed themselves. And despite my irritated tone, I thoroughly enjoyed myself as well. But not until the feeling in my rear-end came back!




Wine Selection: Maryhill Syrah Reserve 2004
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****
Comments: Fruity with a hint of spice on the finish.

Labels:






1 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Seriously? He hauled himself AND two kids up 14 miles? Holy Cow. You are married to a total stud.

September 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771