Can't Win 'Em All
Thursday, November 5, 2009

Eric is competitive. Ultra competitive. Even without prior experience at something, he can essentially will himself to win in just about any given situation. As often as we play Scrabble, I've yet to beat him. I could be 29 points ahead on the last play of the game, and he'd somehow squeak out a 30-point word using his last two letters of "X" and "Z". Sounds impossible, yes, but that's the way he operates when his competitive juices are flowing (and it doesn't help that he's a walking dictionary). Can you imagine how devastated he was when he lost all three games of golf against his dad during our recent vacation to Central Oregon? One word. Yikers. I'm sure it didn't take long for the poor geese to realize that when the clubs went to flyin', it was time to run for cover.

Hole 17 @ Widgi Creek
Eric, appalled at the mere suggestion of a photo op following a putt that
had just gone terribly awry. Ahh...he's so fun to mess with when he gets mad.


Widgi Creek was the second out of three courses they played. I tagged along so I could see for myself the picturesque views and flawlessly manicured greens I had heard so much about. Plus, I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to zip around the course in one of those sporty little golf carts.

That morning, we had the pleasure of meeting an older gentleman by the name of Lew. He was the golf assistant, and like most sweet old guys, was quite adept at rambling incessantly about...well...nothing. But he was likeable, nonetheless. When he learned we were from Oklahoma, he let out a naughty little chuckle before asking us if we were familiar with the small town of Hooker, Oklahoma. Tickled, he informed us that's where his wife was born. Just wanted to pinch his cheeks.

Here are some shots of the guys in action.
(click on photos to enlarge)





During one of our lengthy run-ins with Lew, he asked me if I played. I explained with stifled hilarity that although I am capable of parring a hole (because I have done so once in my life), I am in no way qualified to play on courses like Widgi Creek. He winked and said he wouldn't tell anyone if I wanted to hit a couple of balls. We had made a good friend in old Lew. Hit a couple of balls, I did. Any guesses on how they fared?

Just in case you're color blind, this is not the green.

Despite losing three consecutive golf games to (his words, not mine) "an old man", Eric really enjoyed playing all three courses. And since we've been home, he's checked out two different books on golf from the library and has been taking copious notes. He really hates to lose.



Wine Selection: Kiona Merlot Cabernet
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****
Comments: Bold and flavorful. Very nice.

Labels:






2 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Sounds like fun! By the way, just wondering what program you use for the photo collages?

November 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

Too funny! I like the photo collage. excellent angles,too!

November 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771