2009: A Year In Review
Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Eve.

Back in the day, it was one of those nights I hoped would be filled with excitement and memories I'd look back upon fondly through the years. Yet somehow, every eve of the new year seemed to turn out disastrous. I had a knack for ending up at the lamest parties, was almost always home before midnight (a preemptive approach on my part to avoid being kissed by some drunken fool with slurred speech), and before I knew it, would be dozing off with Dexy's Midnight Runners, "C'mon Eileen" playing over and over in my head. Needless to say, it's never really been my favorite holiday.

Today, New Years Eve serves a very different, but useful purpose for me. It gives me an opportunity to stop and reflect. To many, a year is just a single blip on the radar of life, but if you think about it, a lot can happen in a single year that may or may not alter a person forever.

Overall, it was a good year for our family. Eric and I both ramped up our fitness goals, allowing me to run my first half marathon in several years and him to complete some epic bike rides on the weekends. We're a healthier family than we were in 2008, and that's definitely something to celebrate.

Eric finished residency (halle-freakin'-lujah) while I rediscovered my passion for writing. And reading. I haven't blogged as much as I did in 2008, and it's because all of my free time has gone to one or the other. This year I managed to read thirty-three books, a huge feat for a girl who once got excited over a single book being read cover to cover, much less thirty-three. I read some incredible fiction, a couple of astonishing memoirs, some parenting books (of course), and a sprinkling of chick-lit just to give my brain a rest.

Life also threw us a few curve balls this year. Some of them will certainly bear very little impact on my life, like the fact that nearly almost everything we own has fallen, or is in the process of falling apart. Our vehicles have been in the shop more times than I can remember, our mighty Hoover decided to bite the dust, Eric's cell phone took a swim through the washing machine (in case you're wondering why he hasn't returned your phone call), the list goes on and on. While incredibly frustrating and fatal for the pocketbook these things can be, they are small and usually remedied with a good old-fashioned sense of humor.

Other curve balls thrown this year will weigh on my mind a little more heavily, like the passing of my dad. It's something we all have to go through at some point in our lives, and unfortunately, this was the year for several of my friends to experience such a loss. Gosh, it just doesn't seem like we're old enough for these things to be happening, does it?

Interestingly enough, some of the most exciting events have unfolded over the past two weeks while we were in Oklahoma visiting family over the holidays. Aside from the very impressive and rare white Christmas we had, Eric signed on with a Neurology practice affiliated with St. John Medical Center. It's official. We're moving back home.

Moving, hopefully, to a house that will be built right here on this beautifully snow-covered piece of land overlooking my hometown of Sand Springs. As one of my friends had so perfectly put it, "Once a Sandite, always a Sandite." Whatever the heck a Sandite is, I still don't know.

Eric talking to the builder


If all goes well, we'll be watching deer frolic through these
woods while dining at our breakfast nook.

I suspect the time I'm able to devote to reading will pretty much take a nosedive over the next several months.

As for how I plan on ringing in the new year, it will most likely involve a bottle of Tre Nova Sangiovese (which I see on the table at this very moment), a little bit of college football, and a game of scrabble. I intend to have at least one Scrabble victory for 2009, although I'm not holding my breath.

Happy New Year!

Have fun, and most importantly, be safe.






5 Comments:
Blogger Laura had this to say:

Yea!! Congrats on making the decision to move back to Oklahoma...it probably wasn't an easy one to make. Good luck on the home build. Will you start building before you move back? Your land looks really nice. Glad you guys will be closer - maybe we can meet up when you move back in the summer!

December 31, 2009 at 10:06 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Ha ha, Sandite! When you first said that word I thought I kept hearing you wrong! Wow, building a house, that is so amazing. Have a safe return to Oregon.

January 1, 2010 at 12:20 AM 


Blogger Sara Seratte Jansen had this to say:

You're going to custom build a home? What neighborhood is that??? Close to my parents? I'm so thrilled for you....can't wait to see the development begin. Happy 2010. xoxo

January 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM 


Anonymous Michelle G. had this to say:

I am so thrilled to have you back in Oklahoma! Can't wait for book club, wine night and board games!

January 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

Is that shellcreek lake I see through the trees? Or keystone lake? Or no lake at all, and I'm imagining a body of water because of never seeing water in West Texas? :-)

January 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771