"I am the Gingerbread Boy, I am, I am!"
Monday, December 7, 2009


After reading The Gingerbread Boy, we thought it would be a fun family holiday activity to make gingerbread boys (and girls) of our own. I was a little nervous because cookies aren't really my strong suit. But I had a great recipe from a cookie-decorating class I took with my friend Shelley last Christmas, so I decided to give it a shot. To my surprise, they turned out wonderfully. Not to toot my own horn or anything...

Gingerbread Cookie Recipe:
16 oz
butter
15 oz
granulated sugar (2 cups)
1 lb + 2 oz
corn syrup (2 cups)
1/2 cups
milk
2 lb + 10oz
bread flour (8 3/4 cups)
3 tsp
baking soda
4 TBS
ground cinnamon
2 TBS
ground cloves
2 TBS
ground ginger

1 Place the butter, sugar, corn syrup and milk in a sauce pan and heat until about 110 degrees. Stirring the mixture until smooth paste.
2 Sift the flour, baking soda and spices together. Incorporate the butter mixture into the flour.
3 Line the bottom of a jelly roll will parchment and dust with flour. Place the dough on top and flatten the dough out. Cover and refrigerate overnight. **Could chill in freezer for 6 hours**
4 Preheat oven to 375. Roll the dough out on a floured surface in small batches, keeping the rest of the dough in the refrigerator. The dough will feel sticky but don't add flour. The flour used in the rolling will be enough, too much flour makes the cookies too hard.
5 Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut and place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Bake for about 10 minutes or until they have browned. **8 min if you like them soft and chewy**
6 Makes 90 3-inch cookies.
7 If you're making gingerbread houses, add 6 oz of flour, and use margarine instead of butter.



If you decide to try out the recipe for yourself, allow yourself a few days of prep time. One day to mix the ingredients and chill overnight, one day to cut them out and bake them, and another one or two just to decorate (that is, unless you have no kids....then the time can be cut in half...at least).

Wyatt and Avery were so excited to decorate the cookies. I tried not to micro-manage (hey, if Wyatt wants a red gingerbread man with sprinkles then so be it), but it was hard. Fortunately, I set aside several undecorated cookies just for myself so I could satisfy my own artistic urges at a later time.

Avery found her own decorating rhythm rather quickly:


Wyatt--Ahem! Batman--took his decorating a little more seriously. He ensured that every gingerbread boy had each of his RedHot buttons placed equidistant from one another. His daddy's neurosis, not mine.



The finished product (drumroll please):

Top row: Wyatt's cookies
Bottom row: Avery's cookies
(Just a hunch, but I think she might like sprinkles the best)



I don't know how they managed it, but Wyatt and Avery miraculously refrained from devouring their masterpieces long enough for a photo. Then before we knew it...
Snip--half the Gingerbread Boy was gone.
Snip, Snap--he was three-quarters gone.

Snip, Snap, Snip,
at last and at last
he went the way of
every single gingerbread boy
that ever came
out of the oven...

He was all gone!

The Gingerbread Boy
~Paul Galdone






2 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

What fun!!! The cookies look awesome...did the kids have at least a little help decorating them? I had actually forgotten about that gingerbread recipe...now I can't wait to give it a try!

December 7, 2009 at 7:44 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

It looks like you guys had a really great time, I think we will try that recipe! Wyatt always looks good but the picture of him in his cape he looks absolutely handsome!

December 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771