Sunset over Astoria
Saturday, March 13, 2010

We're sunset people. I can recall many dates, back porch conversations, and even strenuous hikes that have been organized around the setting sun. Living in Portland, however, we don't get to see much of the sun. Period. Watching the evening sky light up in brilliant shades of pink is just one of the things we're looking forward to most about moving back home.

We were excited last weekend to have at least one day without rain, so we decided to spend it in one of our favorite little coastal towns in hopes that 1) we'd catch a great sunset, and 2) we'd sample some great microbrews from Fort George Brewing Company. We hit the jackpot with both!

The Pacific Northwest is blanketed with breweries, and Eric has just about visited them all. And if he hasn't, I bet we'll likely be making a special trip between now and the time we move. Of all of the IPA's Eric has ever sampled, he deemed the Vortex IPA at Astoria's Fort George Brewing Company the best he has ever had. I have to admit, beer is not my specialty, but it was so good I chugged my first, sub-par selection just so I could order my very own pint of the Vortex. It was that good.

After dinner at the brewery, we made a mad dash to the Astoria Column for a unique view of the city at sunset.

We climbed all 164 steps to the platform at the very top of the column.



And we were rewarded handsomely for our efforts




Wyatt was especially impressed that his fraidy-cat mama climbed to the very top and picked a special flower for me to wear in my hair.



Avery and the Astoria-Megler Bridge at Sunset


Hey look, it's Elliot from E.T.

If you notice, I always seem to post a lot of pictures of the kids by themselves. If I could post just one with both of them in the same frame, I would. Trust me. But this is almost always how they turn out.

But they do have beautiful eyelids, don't they?

Other highlights of the trip included exploring Fort Clatsop (the encampment of the Lewis and Clark Expedition), and roasting marshmallows by the campfire.






3 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Beautiful!! There will be a lot to miss about the Pacific NW, huh??

March 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Indeed, Starr. But honestly, we've seen just about everything in the 5 years we've been here. There will be some things we'll miss for sure, but it's not home for us...at least Portland anyway. I sure will have to get used to sales tax again, as well as learning how to pump my own gas. We've definitely been spoiled in that respect.

March 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM 


Blogger Grandma had this to say:

I will miss your awesome pictures and I am glad you got to experience such beautiful scenery but, it's time to call the cows home. Ha!

March 16, 2010 at 7:14 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771