Keeping things in perspective
Monday, April 5, 2010

As a girl, Easter was the holiday I looked forward to most. I understood the reason for which we celebrated, but was too young to wrap my youthful mind around the enormity of its significance on my entire existence. Mostly, it was a day to relish in the frills of pastel dresses, the snug fit of brand new tights, and shoes with heels that tapped louder than crashing cymbals as I pranced around on hardwood floors.

Yours Truly
(Many, many--too many to count--many Easters ago)

I must confess, a hint of jealously came over me yesterday when I thought of all of our friends and family enjoying such beautiful springlike weather in Oklahoma while we endured our fifth consecutive rain-soaked Easter. There are really only so many ways to dress up rubber, and I believe I've tried them all.


For girls, the secret (no big surprise) is in the accessories



For boys....well, there is no secret.
They just don't dress up--something for which this boy
in particular is especially grateful.

Needless to say, our Easter celebrations in Oregon are far from what I had grown accustomed to as a child, but I have to remind myself that a little gloom and doom doesn't detract from the true reason we celebrate, for the sacrifice Jesus made for us means eternally more than skies void of sun or shoes noisy enough to send a mother running for the Excedrin. I only hope I can adequately help my kids grow deeper in their understanding of the magnitude of such a sacrifice and the impact it will have on their own lives, both on earth and the hereafter.

We did manage to have a great time dyeing eggs though. The vast majority of them had been dropped or cracked by the time they passed through toddler hands (or clumsy mommies), but a good time was had by all. And as a result, our eggs had a lot of...umm...personality.




Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!






1 Comments:
Blogger Grandma had this to say:

Easter definitely lives eternal. This holiday affects me as no other.

April 14, 2010 at 6:24 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771