The Last Trimester
Saturday, April 17, 2010

I've decided this whole long-distance, home-building process is like having a baby.

(Now, before I start receiving hate mail from my dear friends suffering through an actual third trimester of pregnancy [Sara, I can feel your eyes burning a virtual hate stare through my body at this very moment], I must preface this entire post by saying there is really no true comparison to growing a baby in your belly. I can say with absolute certainty that I would gladly pack up and move across the country ten times in a single year than to endure another wretched last trimester of pregnancy. Seriously, Michelin Man had nothin' on me. Nothin'.)

But really, now that we've entered into the final stretch...the last 11 weeks...I'm experiencing symptoms familiar only to those in the last trimester of pregnancy: the almost pathologic need to organize, the endless days and restless nights, the moodiness, and the ceaseless anticipation of our upcoming, life-changing event. I've concluded these last couple of months in Portland, like pregnancy, will require me to work through a lot of aches and pains before unwrapping the greatly anticipated gift at the very end. I feel the need to pop a few Tums just thinking about it.

In the beginning, when we found out we were "expecting", it all seemed a little too surreal. Other than a few butterflies in the tummy, life didn't really change all that much. The land was just starting to take shape.


Constructing the retaining wall

Life went on as usual in Portland, but not without a few hiccups. We quickly realized that building a house was not as easy as a buyer and seller agreeing on a price. We had the issue of an appraisal to contend with, which felt a lot like morning sickness, but we eventually got through it and gave an exasperated sigh of relief. Meanwhile, development was still underway.


Still in the little "blob" phase, but the foundation and plumbing are perfectly intact.
Things are looking good.



Then this happened:


Then this:



Holy cow! Getting excited now. Finally starting to look like a house. We have a skeleton, folks. Nice lookin' set of bones, don't you think?


View from downstairs Living Room


View from upstairs Family Room


Cutest little backside on the block. Blush...

We can't see or touch it, but we know it's there, growing at a rapid pace. We're thankful for all of the pictures being sent to us by family and friends (and friends of friends).

Boxes are getting packed, McDonald's toys are being purged, and plans are underway for our two-week family road trip back to the Sooner State. Two weeks in the car with two kids. We have a lot of fun things planned, but if you know us, you know things can go Griswold very quickly. But don't worry, we have AAA.






6 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

2 weeks in the car? You two are VERY brave! Can't wait to see you guys when you get home!

April 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Oh my gosh!! How exciting!! You got a big "baby" there!

April 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

If your travels take you through Utah.... you better let me know! Seriously!

April 22, 2010 at 2:46 PM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Rachel, right now we're planning on heading south through CA, NV, AZ, NM, & TX. Gotta see the Grand Canyon again. It's been years!

April 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM 


Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

2 weeks in a car? Oh my, you've got patience my dear! Look kids - Big Ben!!!!! ~~Sara

April 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM 


Blogger Grandma had this to say:

Me and Brenda went by there Sat. (yesterday) and there is now a green insulation or something and a roof that needs shingled. It is looking more and more like a house, you will love it.

May 2, 2010 at 8:09 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771