Girls Weekend!
Monday, June 21, 2010

Isolation. Depending on the day, it can be one of the greatest advantages or disadvantages to living so far from home.

I won't lie, sometimes it's sort of nice to be so far removed from the expectations that come along with living near family, extended family, and lifetime friends who may as well be family.

Darn it, Suzie. If I didn't live 1,600 miles away, I'd be the first one in line to see little Tommy's croaking bullfrog impersonation at the talent show. Shoot. Maybe next year.

By the same token, living so far away can be incredibly lonely. It's hard to live in a city where everyone is a stranger. No familiar faces at the gym, no run-ins with acquaintances at the grocery store, no re-hashing of old college stories over lunch, and no family gatherings during the holidays. More often than not, for me (can't speak for those in my house with a Y chromosome), the disadvantages of living across the country sadly outweigh the advantages.

So it's always refreshing when a little bit of home shows up on my doorstep. In come Michelle and Rachel...all the way from Oklahoma and Utah (Okay, so Utah isn't exactly home--in fact, I've never even stepped foot in the state--but Tulsa is where Rachel lived when we met. So that counts, right?). Four days in Portland with two great girls and a barrel of laughs. What more could a homesick girl ask for?

How about doughnuts?

Portland's infamous Voodoo Doughnuts
(Don't try to adjust your screen, that is indeed bacon you see on that maple bar)



Cupcakes, maybe?


Three words. Toasted Coconut Cream.


Hmm...well how about playing a little dress up?

Hats. Portland's hottest selling accessory.


And if you didn't think a girl could ask for more, think again.

Road trip, anyone? Facials?

Cannon Beach, here we come!

One thing for which I certainly couldn't ask for more was better company. We had such a great time, and it meant so much that my friends took time away from their own families and work schedules to spend a little time with little 'ol me and take in some of the Oregon sights. I'm looking forward to returning the favor one day. Who wouldn't love a grand tour of mountainous Utah?

Not to invite myself or anything...






2 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Okay, then I'll invite you. COME TO UTAH!! ;) Our accommodations boast a private room, indoor plumbing, breakfast served anytime, and 2 squabbling brothers.

It was a delightful weekend indeed. Thanks for letting us invade your house!

(Oh, and thanks for the reminder that I too need to blog about our adventures...)

June 24, 2010 at 1:12 AM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

I hope you bought that hat. It looks really cute on you!

June 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771