Portland, I'll miss you....in a WEIRD sort of way.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010

With only 4 days left in Portland, I'm getting a little nostalgic thinking about all of the things I will miss. And some things I won't. Like how native Portlanders swing so far to the left that there's really only one word this middle-of-the-road gal can use to describe it. Weird. Portlanders are just plain weird. And they're proud of it. In fact, it's the city's motto. You don't believe me?

This phrase is plastered on buildings and adorns
about 70% of car bumpers within the city limits

As insanely liberal as Portland can be sometimes (nowhere else would you have an organized naked bike ride...click here for video proof), it has been our home for the last five years. The only home our kids have ever known. And you know what? They seem to fit right in.


But really, putting up with a little bit of weirdness is just a small price to pay for the luxury of never having to pump your own gas. For those who aren't aware, Oregon is one of only two states in which it is illegal to pump your own gas. I'm always amused by just how much I fumble around at the gas pump when I go home for a visit. Open gas tank, insert credit card, lift gas pump lever, insert nozzle and press. Sounds easy, but when you haven't done it in a while, it takes about 20 minutes just to fill up the tank.

In addition:

*I will miss our friendly neighborhood brew pub

Great food. Awesome beer. Caters to kids.


*I will miss this wonderful group of ladies I've grown to rely upon throughout residency

Post Call. Home Call. In-house Call. Overnight Call.
At any given time, at least one of our husbands is on one of them.
Tis the the life of a resident's spouse.

*I'll miss the locally brewed beer, some of the finest coffee, and the beautiful wine country.

*I'll miss living only an hour away from both the mountains and the ocean.

*And I'll miss the little chuckle I get when I drive by this dentist's office every day.

Unfortunate names. They get me every time.

What I won't miss? You guessed it. THE RAIN! It's hard driving around town 8 months out of the year with this as your view:

I'm looking forward to wearing nice shoes again.

As wet as it has been this June, we're fortunate enough to spend our last week here enjoying 70 degrees and sunshine. A little taste of heaven as we transition into what probably feels a lot like hell right now with temps in the 90's and 100's.

At least we'll have air conditioning.






5 Comments:
Blogger The Walrus had this to say:

Actually, it's not so bad here today. Quite comfortable, in fact.

June 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM 


OpenID pdxpipeline.com had this to say:

We'll miss you too!

June 29, 2010 at 7:31 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Awww, I got teary eyed!! I tried to pump my own gas once since we moved to Texas and I looked so silly! My mom finally did it for me! Have a great road trip!

June 29, 2010 at 9:28 PM 


Anonymous Mina had this to say:

Oh Catrina, I will miss you and your family. Thanks for being one of my first friends here in Portland. Love your blog! Please keep it up when you are in Oklahoma so I know how you guys are doing.
xoxo,
Mina

June 30, 2010 at 1:13 AM 


Blogger Sara Seratte Jansen had this to say:

Buh Bye west coast, Hello humidity!!!!! Sand Springs will embrace both you and your family so you'll transition back in no time. I do like the Handick sign though....only we would chuckle at something like that!

July 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771