I've emerged.
Monday, August 16, 2010

Well, hello there.

Yes, this is indeed the long-lost author of this blog.

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, even though some days I feel like I'm hanging on by only a thread. I wish I could say we've been busy getting settled into our new home, but in reality, we've been doing a whole lot of nothing--more like finger-tapping, sighing, and eye-rolling--while we patiently await the moment our builder finally decides to light a fire under his rear and finish the darn thing.

In the meantime, the grandparents are making up for lost time (as if they had a choice) while we continue to completely overtake their home, one square foot at a time. Fortunately, God made them to be very loving, giving, and patient beings because LORD HELP ME if my children (and their families) are living with me when they're in their thirties. Haha! Eric's parents are saints and should be rewarded accordingly.

Overall, we're very happy to be home again, celebrating birthdays with family and happy hours with old friends. But one thing I realized rather quickly upon our arrival is that the state of Oregon turned me into one of the worst old-lady drivers ever. The past five years, I've grown accustomed to driving 40 mph on the interstate . Surprisingly, Oregon drivers are among the slowest I've ever encountered. Try driving that speed on an Oklahoma interstate and you'll seriously get demolished.

Okies are impatient and always seem to be in such a hurry to get, well, nowhere. In the last month, I've been cut off, flipped off, and my rear-end ridden more times than a polk-a-dot pony at a county fair. Where's the southern hospitality? Needless to say, my hands have been glued to 10 and 2 while poking along at 65 mph in the slow lane. But it's not just the Oklahoma drivers who scare the bejesus out of me. I'm afraid my poor little pitiful Passat may not withstand the daily beatings administered by the numerous potholes littering every single road and highway in the metropolitan area. At some point, something's gotta give. And knowing my luck, it will probably be my transmission. And that's no joke.

That's it! Maybe I just need one of those fancy Cadillac Escalades that practically glide over the asphalt. That'll do the trick. (Unfortunately, a bug THAT big will not quite fit in the ear of my Chevy-driving husband...but it never hurts to try.)

But anyway, the whole reason for this post (other than just to let ya'll know I'm still alive) was to share some of the astounding photos Eric captured of the sights we saw on our two-week road trip through Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico. I'm always amazed by his talent and wanted to dazzle you with just a few of my favorites from our trip.


A stunted Jeffrey Pine on Beetle Rock



Wildflowers at the base of a giant sequoia



Folded sandstone and yucca plant in Kings Canyon



General Sherman
The world's largest tree






5 Comments:
Blogger Laura had this to say:

Hi Catrina! I have been wondering about you guys! Glad you're doing alright and I hope your house is finished soon! Has Eric started working yet?
Laura

August 17, 2010 at 9:15 AM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Laura, he started work last week. He's really enjoying himself. Nice to finally be his own boss. I just read about your canned pickles! You're awesome.

August 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM 


Blogger Sara Seratte Jansen had this to say:

Love the stunted pine photo. Looks like something out of National Geographic! Glad to hear you aren't engaging in road rage (at least for now)! Mind your manners and stay out of the scorching heat. Welcome Home Okie!

August 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM 


Anonymous Mina had this to say:

Hi Catrina! Good to hear from you. Love all the photos that Eric took. Other than being a little crowded, sounds like you guys are doing well!
Miss you,
Mina

August 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM 


Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

LOVE the photos! We need another water play date before summer's over. But I know you're busy!

Brenda

August 17, 2010 at 11:32 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771