Oh, Sun. How I've missed thee.
Saturday, December 11, 2010

John Denver articulated perfectly my relationship with the sun when he wrote Sunshine On My Shoulders. The sun, when it rises, symbolizes for me a new beginning--an opportunity to start each day with a fresh outlook and a clear mind. While the setting sun allows me to reflect on yet another glorious day I've been granted on this earth, to watch my kids grow, to reminisce and laugh hysterically with old friends, or to relish in some of life's simple pleasures, like home-brewed coffee with Belgian Chocolate Toffee creamer (thank you, Coffee-Mate).

The sun was what I missed most about Oklahoma during our 5-year stint in the Pacific Northwest (second to, err, family...of course), where the sun lies dormant behind clouds of gray eight months out of the year. It's no wonder we were ready to get back to The Plains and into a house on a ridge looking as far west as they eye can see, never again to miss opportunities like these to watch the sun perform its magic over the skies.

Last night's view from our living room


Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high

If I had a day that I could give you
I'd give to you the day just like today
If I had a song that I could sing for you
I'd sing a song to make you feel this way

~John Denver, Sunshine On My Shoulders







2 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

That view is amazing. (And I love John Denver. Much to my husband's annoyance.)

December 11, 2010 at 9:22 AM 


Blogger Sara Seratte Jansen had this to say:

I will have to check out that song. Funny thing...while I was reading the lyrics on here, I mistakenly thought I was reading a James Taylor song. Whoops! Beautiful sunset.

December 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771