Girl Power
Saturday, July 16, 2011

When Eric and I married almost 8 years ago, he did so on the condition that I would produce only boys for offspring. He was dead serious. And scared shitless of having a daughter. Ever. So with our first pregnancy, Eric was more relieved than excited to learn we were having a boy. The second time around, I think he was a little nervous but overall felt confident in our ability (as if we had anything to do with it) to produce an XY baby. Needless to say, he was a bit caught off guard with the news that God doesn't actually take gender requests. We were having a girl!

Warming up to the idea of having a daughter didn't happen overnight for Eric. He was raised by a woman, married a woman, yet was terrified of raising one. I didn't quite understand it and didn't spend much time trying. However, by the time Avery started dishing out bedtime kisses with protruding puckered lips that never smacked, or producing golf-ball-sized tears that never dried, he was putty in her soft, delicate hands. To this day, even when Eric is being dragged against his will (so he claims) to events like dance recitals and birthday fashion shows, he never fails to admit that he's so glad we had a girl.


Daddy/Daughter Dance
(on stage, in front of...well...the whole town)



Apparently this is Eric being dragged kicking and screaming
to his daughter's dance recital. I don't know about you,
but I'm thinkin' Mikey likes it.




Now, the picture above was my inspiration for writing this post, taken on the day of Avery's 4th birthday party. Good-golly-miss-molly! it's so hard to believe it's been 4 whole years since someone actually succeeded in getting into that thick skull of my husband's and changing the way he thinks. Who would've thought an 8 lb 5 oz little blob with alien eyes could make such an impact on a then 28-year-old grown man. She is so much like him in so many ways (at the ripe old age of four, she's convinced that the only person who knows what's best for her, is her), so I guess it's only fitting that she be the one to crack his code, per se. Now if I could just figure out some way to get her to get him to realize that Mommy is always right, then we'd be golden.






3 Comments:
Blogger Annie had this to say:

So cute! Girls are precious, aren't they! They have such a way with their daddy's!

July 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

Love it. The dance recital picture is so, so precious. Love her curls!

July 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Those pictures are such a treasure. There's nothing like a daddy and his sweet daughter, especially when said daddy is wrapped around that daughter's little finger.

July 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771