Fall Break Getaway
Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Every time my kids are out of school on break, I have these grand ideas to spend good quality time together as a family, letting them set the agenda. Without fail, however, life (okay...housework) just always seems to get in the way and quality time takes a back seat. As a result, I have two bored, bickering gremlins ready to claw each other's eyes out. But boy, do my floors sparkle!

I've finally realized that despite my best intentions, the only way to truly get the most out of a 5-day break from school is to get the heck out of town, where dirty dishes and dust particles are someone else's problem. So last Tuesday, I picked the kids up from school, popped a movie in the DVD player, and fumbled my way through the navigation system. Moments later, we were burning rubber on a southbound highway headed straight for the Lonestar State. Destination: Grapevine, Texas!

The first item on the agenda was to hit the new LegoLand Discovery Center. If you've been following this blog for a while then you're very much aware of Wyatt's obsessive tendencies. He has time in his life for only one obsession at a time, and right now, it's Legos. He speaks of nothing else, dreams of nothing else, and spends countless hours designing his own imaginative creations. If you ask him today what he wants to be when he grows up, he'll emphatically reply, "an engineer for Lego."

And here is your future engineer hard at work building a super speedy rocket racer...



...while Avery entertains guests in the Princess Palace with her mad karaoke skills.


Building legos is serious business for Wyatt. There is no doubt in my mind he carefully considered each and every piece that went into constructing his super speedy rocket racer. But would it stand up against models created by some of the other young lego enthusiasts? Wyatt's heart was nearly beating out of his chest as the competitors lined up at the start. "On Your Mark. Get Set. Go!"


By this time, beads of sweat had formed over both of our brows as we anticipated the results.

Wait for it.....Wait for it....


SCORE!!!

He's so over-the-top. It's part of what makes Wyatt, Wyatt.


Meanwhile, Avery is still rocking out to Miley Cyrus.


The little pop star did end up taking a break from singing to build a few lego creations, but she seemed much more interested in making friends and carrying on imaginary conversations with them.

Constantly talking and singing to herself. It's part of what makes Avery, Avery.

We easily spent the entire day at the LegoLand Discovery Center. When asked if they had a good time, Wyatt responded with an enthusiastic "It was off-the-hook, AWESOME!"


The following day, we shopped until we dropped at the Grapevine Mills Mall. One thing you should know about me--if you don't already--is that I hate to shop. Let's just say in the past year I've shopped the mall in Grapevine TX more than I have the mall in Tulsa OK. And I can certainly count on one hand the number of times I've ever brought my kids with me to a mall (and that includes trips to see Santa). But nevertheless, we were on vacation. And we were all in need of shoes. Puma's, Skechers, Vans...Oh, My! We were definitely in shoe heaven at the Grapevine Mills Mall. We also took a couple of breaks to ride the carousel,



and run like hamsters in these strange water Bobbles,
("Hey kids, I'm going to get some coffee. See you in an hour!")


but at the end of the day we walked out of that place with bags and bags of...well...shoes!! It was awesome. The entire day, Wyatt walked through the mall shaking his head in disbelief that I was allowing them to do and buy whatever they wanted. "Well that's what happens when you're on vacation, Buddy!" He learned a few days later on the car ride home that my generosity was indeed short-lived when he was denied a stop at the Dairy Queen for his daily dose of ice cream. "Nope," I said. "Vacation's over. Mommy's back to being a crab. Sorry."

I can't imagine how on earth he was interested in ice cream after his attempt to devour the famous Lava Cake at Rainforest Cafe the night before.

Goodness gracious, I feel sick just looking at it.

He made a valiant attempt, but sadly lasted only a few bites. Avery felt the effort was deserving of a kiss nonetheless (it doesn't take much these days), but Wyatt's strong aversion to girl cooties had him running for the hills.



We concluded our 4-day little rendezvous at Six Flags Over Texas. So fun!

We were a little limited on the rides we could ride since Avery was just shy of 42 inches, but we somehow managed to close the park down at 11PM with rides still on our list. Perhaps we would've made it to all of them had Mommy not insisted on a character drawing of her two darlings, but seriously, it's one of Six Flags' best souvenirs in my opinion.


We had such a blast. Grapevine is such a great little destination for young families. It's not the first time we've been there and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last.






2 Comments:
Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Cute trip!! I'm flying into DFW for a day next Friday with Lacey and JoJo. I thought we'd hang out in Dallas but seeing your Grapevine trip we might just hang out there!

October 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Now I want to go to Grapevine (and before this post I had never even heard of the place). Our fall break was a little sad. You've inspired me to kick it up a notch next year.

That caricature of the kids is so cute. I can't believe how much Wyatt looks like his dad! I coulda sworn it was you and Eric, not the kids.

October 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771