Who the heck reads this stuff?
Monday, January 30, 2012

Did I ever tell you about the time Eric and I started a book club for just the two of us?

I didn't?

Surely, I must have.

Oh, you're right. Now I remember. That's because said book club only lasted about two weeks.

You see, my husband and I share many of the same interests. Reading being one of them. Which is why it seemed like such a grand idea at the time to start a mini book club in an effort to spend more quality time with one another. Awesome, right? There was really only one major hiccup. What books do we read?

Just to give you a glimpse into where I'm going with this, when I shop for books on Amazon.com (Yes, we still buy books. Actual books. With pages and everything), these are the types of books you'll see in my Cart:




When Eric shops for books on Amazon.com, these are the types of books you'll see in his Cart:


Ah yes. Now you're starting to understand.

You may be thinking, even with reading interests on completely opposite ends of the spectrum, there is surely some way to find a happy medium, right?

Uh, not really.

And that was the end of that.

Scrabble. We just need to stick to Scrabble. He gets to show off his unlimited vocabulary while I drink wine. Everybody wins.

(I suppose I too would be a walking dictionary if I read more of the complete stories on the Arctic, but I'd rather embrace my remedial side, thank you very much).

So the next time you're walking through that section in the bookstore--you know, the one that makes you stop, shake your head, and wonder aloud "Who the heck reads this stuff?"--I hope you'll think of me and get a kick out of the fact that my husband likely owns most of them.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771