Being Busy Aint So Bad
Monday, May 14, 2012

This has been such an awesomely busy week. My cooking, baking, and very limited crafting abilities have been revved into overdrive in an attempt to show the wonderful teachers in our community just how much we support and appreciate them. Charged with the task of molding our future, one week dedicated to teacher appreciation somehow seems inadequate for all they do, but hopefully it was enough to simply say We Care!, despite our state legislators' attempts to completely deface public education in Oklahoma. But I'll save that political rant for another time. So, moving on.

As if slaving in the kitchen wasn't enough to completely wipe me out, I simultaneously became engrossed in a novel (which is not something you want to have happen when you're up to your elbows in end-of- school-year activities). It isn't just your run-of-the-mill novel, you see, but a wildly erotic trilogy that has had many of the small town ladies in my community chattering in hushed tones, with eyes wide open and jaws agape. It is quite a scandalous read, indeed. And filled with pages and pages of train wrecks from which you cannot possibly divert your eyes--not even at one o'clock in the morning when your brain is pleading with you to go to bed. This caption sums it up perfectly:
I'd venture to guess that if the husbands of all these chattering ladies knew what was making their wives'  cheeks blush and hearts flutter, they'd be reading it too! 

Speaking of babies, I became an aunt to yet another beautiful niece this week. On May 8th, Blythe Edgar made her grand entrance into the world at a hefty 9 pounds 7 ounces. She's quite a beauty, if I do say so myself. Wyatt and Avery already adore her, as does her big brother Ian.



By the time Friday rolled around, I was ready to prop up my feet and call it a week. And just before my rear end hit the couch, I heard the clinking of wine glasses calling my name. For it was Mother's Day weekend and time to celebrate. A weekend just for me!, I thought. I can sleep when I dead. So I kicked off the weekend celebrating with two very special mothers in my life--my mom and sister--at Pinot's Palette on Cherry Street. There we learned that in addition to cheese and chocolate, wine pairs beautifully with paint. Especially when peacocks are involved.








On Saturday Eric took the kids fishing while I...are you ready for this?....slept in until 8:30, read more of my smutty novel, then treated myself to a long run and my nephew's soccer game before heading out to the Tulsa Drillers game with my family. Have I ever mentioned how much Avery loves baseball?


On Mother's Day, Wyatt and Avery presented me with an array of potted flowers before treating me to breakfast at the local Ihop. The evening was spent relaxing with Eric's family, ooh-ing and ahh-ing over Baby Blythe and rocking on the porch swing, enjoying the cool breeze and relishing in yet another beautiful Mother's Day.


 I am truly blessed. The End.






3 Comments:
Anonymous Christy Shipman had this to say:

You are amazing, Catrina! Thanks for all your hard work this year with NFAA PTO. I am happy to leave it all in your very capable hands after next Thursday ;).

May 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

So the baseball stands were full of talk about that book, the baseball moms missing their kids' at bat caught up in discussion of certain scenes. BLUSH. Those stands seemed pretty small as me and the Dads who also hadn't read it tried to awkwardly have normal conversation while they chatted in the background. Ha!!

May 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Blessed indeed. Sounds like a perfectly perfect weekend to me, and I adore your peacock painting!

I simply must know about this smutty novel. What's the title?

May 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771