Camp Napa
Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Art Camp.




Golf Camp.




Theatre Camp.




I don't know about you but after only four weeks into this summer "vacation", I could sure use a wine camp right about now. Luckily for me, there just so happens to be one. And it's called Napa.

Sign me up.

I can see it now...

Cruising up and down the valley, the warm summer breeze blowing through my hair. Rolling hills with vineyards as far as the eye can see. From quaint little family-owned wineries to world renowned large-scale operations, my palate shocked and overwhelmed by the tantalizing flavors contained in some of the country's most coveted varietals. And I'm all by myself....

Uh, wait a minute. Back the truck up.

...And I'm all by myself living it up with two of the funnest girls I know.

Now that's more like it.

In 48 hours, I will be causing all sorts of ruckus (well, as much of a ruckus as I know how) in California's Napa Valley with two of my favorite partners in crime, Shelley and Michelle. And if we're feeling exceptionally wild and crazy, we may just stay up past ten o' clock while we're there. Watch out.

I haven't seen Shelley in two years, so in addition to it being a long overdue girls weekend getaway, I will be reuniting with and catching up with a dear friend. When I lived in Portland, Shelley was the one person I could count on to meet me for wine despite being chronically sleep-deprived and exhausted after long days of chasing toddlers and nursing newborns. We always made time for wine. Still do, apparently. Like me, Shelley isn't a pretentious wine drinker but, by-god, if you serve her wine in a tiny glass, you might just get a dirty look. Wine is meant to be enjoyed in a nice glass with some breathing room. Don't mess with her.


Our last girls night out in Portland's Pearl District. 


Michelle, on the other hand, I have the good fortune of seeing on a regular basis. Even so, great drinks and fun conversations with her never seem to get old (even after 12 years...dang, has it been that long?). This will actually be the second wine-tasting trip I've taken with Michelle. The first was when she visited me in Oregon shortly after Avery was born and we had an absolute blast touring wineries in the Dundee Hills.


I must have really been sleep-deprived. 
What the hell was I wearing? 
Did I even shower? 
Good lord...

Now get out your magnifying glass and take a look at those itty-bitty wine glasses. Shelley would highly disapprove. Tsk, tsk!

Considering temperatures in Oklahoma have just started to soar above 100 degrees this week, I couldn't think of a better time to head West. And according to Shelley, Portland is still chilly and rainy. Eighty degrees, HERE WE COME!!! 

I hope to do some mobile blogging from Napa. Stay tuned.






3 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Sounds like a perfect girl's getaway. Have so much fun! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures of staying up past 10 pm.

June 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM 


Blogger Stephanie had this to say:

I'm so jealous...

June 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771